lifeguards throughout the world have a rich tradition of exchanging
lifesaving techniques, equipment, training methods and ideas.
The CSLSA is proud to be a leader in this area by encouraging
and promoting lifeguard exchanges within the CSLSA region and
with New Zealand.
CSLSA lifeguard exchange programs
professional lifeguard interested in visiting and observing the
operation of a CSLSA Southern California or Hawaii Lifeguard Agency
should be self motivated and able to initiate, organize and schedule
an exchange. He or she should also consider the following guidelines:
- Possess a minimum of three summers of open water or surf lifeguard
- Exchange with and represent an organization with USLA Certification.
- Obtain a letter of recommendation for an exchange from your
lifeguard Chief, Captain or Lieutenant.
- Develop a contact person such as the training officer from
the lifeguard agency you wish to visit.
- Identify an area of interest or focus such as front line or
tower response, Rescue vessels or Junior Lifeguard program.
- Use your scheduled days off or get approval for paid training
during the exchange.
and Auckland, New Zealand exchange program
exchange program started in 1969 and has a rich tradition of exchanging
professional and volunteer lifesaving techniques and equipment.
Each year two visiting lifeguards from New Zealand visit Southern
California beaches in July for six weeks. Similarly, two lifeguards
from California visit the coastline of New Zealand during January
for six weeks. The application is contained within the Annual Notice (below).
Urgent! Guards needed for CA Team!
CA/NZ Exchange Blog
CA/NZ Facebook page
Annual Notice for the California/New Zealand Lifeguard Exchange.
List of past California/New Zealand Exchange Lifeguards
E-mail CSLSA Exchange Committee Chairperson